Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Results Are In

Jordan called me today with the results of Oliver's endoscopy (I'm out of town with the kids visiting family). There was a bit of a delay in getting the results because our GI was out of the office and needed to sign off of them because they were abnormal, plus there was a bit of phone tag going on between Jordan and the nurses. Oliver does not have celiac. There was no sign of any damage to the lining of the small intestine. There was damage to his esophogus as well as numerous eosinophils. Our new diagnosis is Eosinophilic Esophagitis and I was told to completely remove wheat, egg, soy, and milk from my diet while I continue nursing him.

I can't say I'm surprised by this too much. For awhile now, I've felt like it wasn't celiac that we were dealing with, and I was pretty sure that the doctor was going to tell us it was something else instead. In some ways, I'm relieved, but on the other hand now we have something brand new to deal with and learn about. Some people want to know if it's a good thing that he doesn't have celiac. Well - it means we don't have to be so careful about all the random small things that contain gluten (but not necessarily wheat). While EoE is not something that one can outgrow, there is the chance that he outgrows some of his allergies (perhaps that ones that aren't triggering his EoE and are just IgE mediated). This diagnosis brings with it a whole new set of challenges, but I guess that small chance that some of his allergies may not be life-long is what makes this one a little bit better for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment