Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Things That All Make Sense Now

EoE symptoms seem to vary from person to person. Young children often experience nausea and vomiting, failure to thrive, feeding refusal/intolerance or poor appetite, and difficulty sleeping. Older children and adults tend to experience dysphagia (difficulty swallowing) and food impaction (food gets stuck in the esophagus). Reading lists of symptoms and reading what others have experienced with their children is making it all click inside my head.

I've nursed Oliver and have always thought he's had latching issues. He also would eat quickly and fairly frequently, which seemed odd (in comparison to my other two children). I didn't worry too much because this was back when he was actually gaining weight! By about six months old he either got the hang of it, or I got so used to it that I didn't notice it so much. At this point, though, he started vomiting (this probably is due to us introducing solid foods to him). Not throwing up, but actual vomiting. He would throw up on average once a week. It would come and go so that once I was worried about it, he would stop for awhile.

He was not a very good napper when he was little. He wanted to be held and would only sleep for short spurts. It's a lot like my oldest son, so I wasn't too alarmed. However, I did not know how to put him to sleep. He wouldn't nurse to sleep, he wouldn't rock to sleep, nothing worked. This bothered me a lot. He would wake up screaming in the night and I could do nothing to soothe him back to sleep. In retrospect, I'm sure his stomach was hurting him and there really was nothing we could do.

No comments:

Post a Comment